How To Get Gorgeous Healthy Hair
Summer is my favorite season! For most women, that means tans, summer dresses and cocktails. However for any woman who doesn’t have pin straight hair, it also means that it’s once again time to leave your house with beautiful hair in the morning, and end up rockin’ a frizzy mess in the afternoon. A girl’s worst enemy is humidity. We’ve all been there, especially us curly haired girls.
You spend an hour straightening your hair just to walk outside and end up looking like medusa in .02 seconds – ugh!
Although there’s nothing you can do about Mother Nature, there are a few things you can do to keep your hair shiny. Here is how to get gorgeous, healthy hair:
- Healthy diet. The first thing you need to know about hair is that your diet really does affect it. Maintaining a healthy diet includes eating right and taking vitamins. Protein helps strengthen your hair and improve color and shine. You should also start including flaxseed oils into your diet as well because the omega-3 fatty acids help keep hair and nails moisturized. I recommend taking Biotin pills – they really do make your hair-and nails-stronger and shinier.
- Moisturize. Hair frizzes up in humidity because it’s dry and it’s trying to suck up the moisture in the air. Keep hair moisturized by adding a little leave in conditioner on those humid days.
- Cold water. Rinse your hair with cold water at the end of your shower to promote shine.
- Don’t shampoo your hair every single day. This will strip oils and nutrients that keep your hair and scalp healthy. If you’re like me and can’t go a day without washing your hair, skip the shampoo and use only conditioner certain days out of the week.
- Use a quality shampoo & conditioner. When choosing a shampoo, aim for natural ingredients and try to avoid ingredients like sodium lauryl sulfate.
- Use hair masks and oil treatments. Using a hair mask or oil treatment at least once a week to help keep hair well moisturized and repair damage caused by heat and styling. Two great hair masks are Fekkai Essential Shea Ultra Rich Mask ($30) and Redken Real Control Intense Renewal Super Moisturizing Mask ($15.50).
- Frequent trims. Getting a trim every 4-6 weeks helps keep split ends in control, which is an absolute must for healthy looking hair.
- Step away from the towel. Don’t rub your hair with a towel to dry since this causes split ends and frizz. Do your makeup first and allow your hair to air dry a little before you expose it to the heat and damage you cause when styling your hair.
- Apply shampoo to your roots only. This is where you have the extra oil. The rest of your hair will get washed and cleaned as you rinse your shampoo away. Then, apply conditioner just to your ends so that it doesn’t get weighed down at your roots, leaving you with a more voluminous look.
What are your favorite hair products?
Want healthier, better looking hair? Check out these other posts you may like: The Best Hair Dryers on the Market Today, Supplements for fuller, shinier hair, Best Hair Products for Voluminous, Bombshell Hair, Hair Care Tips for Dry, Damaged Hair.
5 Ways To Grow And Thicken Your EyelashesApril 26th, 2018
77 Gorgeous Makeup Ideas You Can Re-CreateMarch 24th, 2015
How To Match Your Makeup & OutfitMarch 24th, 2015
Top Runway Beauty Trends For Your WeddingNovember 2nd, 2014
The Best Ways To Unclog Your PoresSeptember 20th, 2014